Goddard & Malmquist
For experienced representation
Call our firm 847-382-3995
Menu / Navigate In This Section

Job change? Here's how to change child support

While couples argue about the figures, most agree that a child deserves to receive financial support to help pay for food, school supplies and the basic necessities that a child needs to lead a healthy productive life. Once a child support agreement is reached, most parents genuinely make every effort to stay up-to-date on payments, but there are times when doing so can become nearly impossible.

Suffering a debilitating injury, losing a job or undergoing other major life changes can make the obligations of the current child support agreement incredibly difficult to meet. Thankfully, if you're facing a situation like this, you do have options. The agreement won't automatically shift to accommodate your new situation, but you can ask for a child support modification from the courts.

In order to do so, it's important that you follow these steps:

  • The moment you realize that the payments are impossible for you to swing, you need to do something about it. Until you do something, you will still be responsible for the current agreement. It's incredibly important that you try to pay as much as possible in a timely manner. Doing so will show that you are trying to meet your obligations.
  • Start the ball rolling by explaining your situation to your ex. He or she may understand and be able to help make the agreement more reasonable for you.
  • Keep documentation of your life changes. If you have a reduced income, keep documents that show this clearly. Document your new job search as well.
  • You'll want to get acquainted with Illinois' laws on child support and you may want to consider consulting an attorney to help you through the process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help You

Schedule Your

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Goddard & Malmquist

Goddard & Malmquist
1250 South Grove Avenue
Suite 101
Barrington, IL 60010

Phone: 847-382-3995
Fax: 847-382-4038
Map & Directions

Chicago Office
333 W. Wacker
Suite 500
Chicago, IL 60606

Map & Directions