Goddard & Malmquist
For experienced representation
Call our firm 847-382-3995
Menu / Navigate In This Section

Seek help for owed back child support

If you are a custodial parent and owed back child support, you are probably getting pretty frustrated with your situation. For millions of American families, child support serves as a main source of income. However, when the paying parent stops paying or is unable to pay, the financial struggle can be felt by everyone involved. Even though there are numerous ways to collect on owed back child support, owed parents may want to refrain from pushing for jail time.

Thanks to the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, authorities such as district attorneys have the ability to legally pursue any individual that is in arrears on their court-ordered child support. The collection efforts made by these authorities can include serious penalties and even jail time. However, custodial parents may want to consider working with authorities toward a resolution that does not include this most drastic measure.

There are a number of different reasons why non-custodial parents default on child support orders. Many times, this default comes after a serious illness, disability or job loss. In these cases, the delinquency of child support may be frustrating, but it may also be at no fault of the non-custodial parent. Seeking criminal charges and jail time may only work to prolong their unemployment which does not benefit anyone. Working with an attorney may help remedy the situation more quickly, and may also help to get support back in the hands of those who need it most.

Although many cases of delinquent child support have more to do with circumstance than character, the term deadbeat always resonates in the minds of many. In the event that a non-custodial parent stops paying child support for no reason, seeking to exercise the full force of the law may be necessary. Working with an attorney can help custodial parents identify which options will provide a faster and more positive outcome.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How We Can Help You

Schedule Your

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Goddard & Malmquist

Goddard & Malmquist
1250 South Grove Avenue
Suite 101
Barrington, IL 60010

Phone: 847-382-3995
Fax: 847-382-4038
Map & Directions